Re: Re: How can I delete Evolution?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:52:33PM +0300, Eugen Rahaian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a reply to message
> (I was not on the list)
>
> Kev wrote in the above message:
> >Hi *,
> >after a converstaion on #debian, I found out info about these
> >meta-packages:
> >gnome > gnome-desktop-environment > gnome-core and
>
> >gnome-desktop-environment has a dependency for evolution.
>
> >So you can remove gnome-desktop-environment, install gnome-core and just
> >remember to add stuff that gnome-core does not have that you want to
> >keep up to date.
>
> >Cheers,
> >Kev
>
> I was going to delete gnome-desktop-environment but when I simulated it:
>
> # apt-get -s remove gnome-desktop-environment
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED
>  gnome gnome-desktop-environment
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 165 not upgraded.
> Remv gnome [1:2.12.2.2]
> Remv gnome-desktop-environment [1:2.12.2.2]
>
> ... apt is removing gnome package also, because gnome depends on
> gnome-desktop-environment.
>
> Is there a *simple* way  to remove gnome-desktop-environment, so I can
> remove Evolution and  anything else I want? If not, I would just leave it
> there.
Hi Eugen,
you seem confused. What you described above is exactly what I said would
happen and this is what I want to happen to solve your problem.
step 1.  apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
this removes 2 meta-packages. notice that it does not remove the 50+
packages, and the size of 'gnome' and 'gnome-desktop-environment' are
less than 500kb in size.
Removing these 2 packages will allow you to remove evolution with no
problem.
step 2.  apt-get remove evolution
step 3.  apt-get install gnome-core
this makes sure that you have a least the basic gnome packages.
This will solve your problem. Not sure what else needs explaining.
Cheers,
Kev