Re: X error : Major opcode: 151

On 12/04/06, Laura Palmer <lpalmer@trashmail.net > wrote:
I just used aptitude to upgrade my debian/unstable box (the previous
full update was on 2006-03-19), and then several graphical programs
are now having one same error. For some it is fatal, for some it only
prints an error report.

These errors don't happen _at all_ when I launch windowmaker instead
of kde, and I absolutely don't know if this problem is specific to my
box, or due to a bug in a package (and then which package..)
Just in case it could be hardware-related, my video card is a nvidia
GeForce2 with 32MB RAM, and my screen is set to 1680x1050 (16bpp), I'm
using latest xorg server, with nv driver.

Here are the reports from a few various programs, hoping someone might
point me in the right direction :

--  firefox  and thunderbird : crashes on launch with :
The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 418 error_code 1 request_code 151 minor_code 23)

-- gqview : crashes on launch,
The program 'gqview' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 143 error_code 1 request_code 151 minor_code 23)
etc.

-- "gimp --verbose" starts OK, until I click "open" then crashes
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 19546 error_code 1 request_code 151 minor_code 23)

- knode : reports errors, works normally
X Error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 1
  Major opcode:  151
  Minor opcode:  23
  Resource id:  0x3e00004

it seems all KDE apps work (printing a few of those reports along the
way), as overall my kde desktop and usual kde apps appear unaffected.

I had the same trouble. Upgrading to the latest xserver-xorg-core solves this (well, it did for me). I do not know how to link to my thread; You shall have to search the archive if you wish to find it. The thread is Upgrade xorg in Sid breaks link.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.