Re: Sylpheed vs. Claws (was Re: thunderbird -> kmail)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:05:54 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> > > Ah, ok.  What's the benefit of -claws, or the difference?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ron Johnson, Jr.
> > > Jefferson, LA USA
> > >

> > Now therein lies a very good question. I have never used sylpheed,
> > always SC. It had more features from the beginning, and was trying
> > different approaches to things.
>
> fwiw, I just dumped sylpheed the other day as I got tired of it
> randomly crashing. especially when switching from one folder to
> another. I know sylpheed is undergoing a lot of developement (spent a
> few days on their list) and the main dev. is pretty responsive. It
> used to crash on me about two or three times a day. no big deal, just
> annoying. but I'm moving to WMII and a text based client works much
> better in that environment (mutt).

> > --
> > Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42@gmail.com>
> > Registered Linux User #96112
> > ICQ#:     AIM#:       YAHOO:
> > 18002350  mailman452  mailman42_5
> >
> > They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
> > little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
> >         Ben Franklin - 1759

You should give Sylpheed-Claws-GTK2 a try. I'm running unstable and it
has never crashed on me. The only strange thing I'm noticing is that
sometimes mail I just read is marked as unread again, probably because
at a shutdown it gets killed before the chance to write the latest
changes.

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)