Re: thunderbird -> kmail

On Monday 10 April 2006 14:36, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Hi
>     I am considering shifting from thunderbird to kmail . I have tried
> kmail but could not figure out couple of things. I am wondering if kmail
> has support for the following things?

Thanks Frank. I finally made the move and am happy with the change. I solved
many of the problems. I am answering my own questions here for the sake of
archives.

> 1) Reply to list support
>     In thunderbird, It is either Reply or Reply to All. Does kmail do a
> better job in this regard or is it as lame as thunderbird?

Wow! Kmail's mailing list support is more than what I dreamed of. There is
reply to list feature. Filtering based on mailing lists is a breeze.

> 2) Using other editors
>     I would like to use vim or gvim to compose my emails. Currently
> thunderbird does not have any facility to use a custom editor. Does
> kmail have this feature?

Just follow http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=302

The basic idea is to use gvim -f %f
Currently kvim is not available in Debian, unstable. So one has to be content
with gvim or use the default composer of kmail.

> 3) Thread support
>     Is it possible to sort the messages by threads instead of
> date/sender etc., This is possible in thunderbird. But I could not
> figure out how to do this in kmail.

There is thread support. To get thunderbird's behavior I had to do Folder ->
Thread messages. Then click on Date (Order of Arrival). That's it.

> 4) Spam and Junk mail control
>     Thunderbird has very good support in terms of spam filtering. It can
> even adapt its spam filters as time goes on. How good is kmail in terms
> of spam filtering? I am not planning to use spamassassin etc., I am
> looking for in-built spam controls.

Kmail as such does not come with any spam filtering support. One has to use
programs such as spamassasin, bogo filter, Annoyance filter etc., The idea is
to use programs which are good at filtering spam rather than making kmail do
it. Close to Unix philosophy I think! After reading the help on Tools ->
Anti-Spam Wizard , I settled onto bogo filter. Cant say anything about its
performance right now. But I hope it is good.

Overall, in three words - kmail is great!
Dont know if I will change my opinion and go back to thunderbird in future.
But
for now Kmail rocks.