Re: What are the best aptitude dist-upgrade options to use with Debian Sid

On 4/12/06, Christopher Nelson <chris@cavein.org> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:42:10AM +0200, Alex wrote:
> I was doing a aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade and got this:
  <snip aptitude printout>
> Exim4 and mutt have never been broken before and I've got the latest
> gnulibtls12 installed
> but aptitude says that it is not installable? and that it will remove
> libgnutls12 but in order
> to resolve dependencies it will keep it??
>
> I don't really get aptitude's printout but it does not give me confidence to
> do a dist-upgrade
> although I suspect it will work just fine or?

I wouldn't do a dist-upgrade right now, because these things are broken.
See bug #361874: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=361874

> Of course I could choose not to upgrade at all because everything is working
> just fine but what's the fun in that...
>
> Any recommendations on what options are useful in these situations? -f fix
> broken?

-f fix broken is good to know, but here I would use the 'hold' mechanism
on libtasn1-2 and libtasn1-2-bin, the two packages that were updated to
cause the problem.  I'm not sure what aptitude's method for holding
packages is (I use dselect) though the man page should be enlightening.

Hmm, I might try hold but I guess the safest bet is to wait until apitude is printing "normal" info when requesting to do a dist-upgrade.