Re: What are the best aptitude dist-upgrade options to use with Debian Sid

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:42:10AM +0200, Alex wrote:
> I was doing a aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade and got this:
  <snip aptitude printout>
> Exim4 and mutt have never been broken before and I've got the latest
> gnulibtls12 installed
> but aptitude says that it is not installable? and that it will remove
> libgnutls12 but in order
> to resolve dependencies it will keep it??
>
> I don't really get aptitude's printout but it does not give me confidence to
> do a dist-upgrade
> although I suspect it will work just fine or?

I wouldn't do a dist-upgrade right now, because these things are broken.
See bug #361874: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=361874

> Of course I could choose not to upgrade at all because everything is working
> just fine but what's the fun in that...
>
> Any recommendations on what options are useful in these situations? -f fix
> broken?

-f fix broken is good to know, but here I would use the 'hold' mechanism
on libtasn1-2 and libtasn1-2-bin, the two packages that were updated to
cause the problem.  I'm not sure what aptitude's method for holding
packages is (I use dselect) though the man page should be enlightening.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Go out and tell a lie that will make the whole family proud of you.