Re: cd drive config

Florian Kulzer on 10/04/06 19:09, wrote:
udev. It does all this for me, i.e. creates the correct symlinks, with the correct permissions etc. Some people on the list hate it for one reason or another, but here it just works!

Works for me, too. I especially like udev in combination with dbus,
hal and pmount, to get icons on my desktop automatically for inserted
CDs, USB sticks, connected cameras, etc. Even if you don't care about
the GUI stuff, have a look at pmount: It allows users to mount
removable media without root having to anticipate every possible
device name which might need a "user" entry in /etc/fstab.

Used to be great for me too until I tried to upgrade it to work with
libusb and my new handheld. If I install udev now, even what I thought
was a stable old version 0.79, it causes havoc:

- it makes /dev/null unwritable for users
- it disables my hardware sensors in lm-sensors
- it takes out my cdrom

and more I suspect plus all attendant side-effects thereof.

Initially I tried to get it to work following these instructions

http://code.pilot-link.org/README.libusb

(if interested, scroll down to the section "how do i configure these
pieces......")

but after that I just apt-get removed it.

I need to get it going though because otherwise I won't be able to synch
my handheld (my old one as well as the new one!)

Adam