Re: cd drive config

Linas Žvirblis on 10/04/06 15:28, wrote:
kscd says "CDROM read or access error / please make sure you have access
permissions to /dev/cdrom" which seems to be missing the point.
Are you in the "disk" group?
No no no, "disk" is the wrong group. It allows raw access to hard
drives, meaning that it would become really easy to mess up the entire
system. The correct group to add yourself to is "cdrom".

I was a bit too quick posting this. It seems that "/dev/hdc" on the said
system is in fact owned by "root:disk". This is wrong nonetheless. On my
system I have...

 ls -al /dev/hd*
 brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 0 2006-04-09 02:31 /dev/hda
 brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 1 2006-04-09 02:31 /dev/hda1
 brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 2 2006-04-09 02:31 /dev/hda2
 brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 2006-04-09 02:31 /dev/hdc

Are you sure your "/dev/hdc" is in fact a CD-ROM? If it is, you should
"chown root:cdrom /dev/hdc" and add yourself to "cdrom" group. As I have
already said, being in a "disk" group is very dangerous.

Yes that was exactly the problem. Muchas gracias senor.

Surely there exists a config script or prog that I can run to set this kind of stuff up when I change a piece of hardware? Since it's part of the original initial configuration installation process, it must already exist in some context at least.

Thanks

Adam