Re: cd drive config

Christopher Nelson on 09/04/06 22:41, wrote:
/dev/hda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
       ^^^
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
#usbfs          /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   rw              0       0

(haven't set up the new harddrive yet).

I tried mount /dev/cdrom and got this error msg:

mount /dev/cdrom
mount: can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
                         ^^^
Can someone point me to the config mechanism for this?

It looks like your /dev/cdrom points to /dev/hdb, which is _not_ in your
/etc/fstab -- /dev/hdc is instead (as you said).  You should make sure
you want /dev/hdc then issue a 'ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom'.

OK I shall do that now .... didn't get me any further with the music.

I see the link in there:

ls -la /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 2006-04-10 13:05 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

and

ls -la /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 0 2004-09-18 12:51 /dev/hdc

and it will allow me to mount stuff as /cdrom, but I can't get music cds to play.

kscd says "CDROM read or access error / please make sure you have access permissions to /dev/cdrom" which seems to be missing the point.