OS and file system encryption

I have read the Linux has software available that can encrypt the OS and the file system to a degree that even with physical access to the HD, the data cannot be extracted. I was told that this slows the systems down quite a bit but that is it very functional… This sounds like interesting technology and I would like to experiment with it.

What packages are capable of doing this and where can I find good how-tos for them? I am pretty new to linux, so I need information in small pieces, but I am not opposed to learning or experimenting.

Thanks,

Tyson Varosyan
Technical Manager, Uptime Technical Solutions LLC.
tyson@up-times.com
www.up-times.com
206-715-TECH (8324)
UpTime/OnTime/AnyTime