Re: OS and file system encryption

Tigran Varosyan:

> I have read the Linux has software available that can encrypt the OS and the
> file system to a degree that even with physical access to the HD, the data
> cannot be extracted. I was told that this slows the systems down quite a bit
> but that is it very functional. This sounds like interesting technology and
> I would like to experiment with it.

I didn't try it myself, but I think the most popular solution is
dmcrypt, which allows you to encrypt everything, even your root and swap
partition. I have been told Debian supports this very well, e.g. there
are setup scripts and init-scripts which should make it work almost
out-of-the-box. There should be plenty of HOWTOs on the net and in the
package itself.

I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree]   [Disagree]