Re: how do I upgrade while I sleep?

--- Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> Hi folks.  How do I upgrade while I sleep?  Or, more
> specifically, how
> do I set it up so that all the questions about
> scripts that have been
> changed, which are different from the package
> maintainers scripts,
> asking if it should keep the current version, or
> install the new one,
> blah blah blah.... the default is ...
> Hell, what do I know?  I'm a desktop user who's too
> cheap to buy
> Windows; so, I go with Linux (I am going to donate
> some cash SPI,
> however).  So I always choose the default answer.
> How can I set up my
> upgrade from Sarge to Etch, to run while I'm
> sleeping, without it asking
> me stupid questions that I don't give a shit about?
> Just have it
> upgrade, and not bother me, fer Christ's sake.  Aw,
> then I can just
> sleep.  Blissful sleep.

If you're just a "desktop user who's too cheap to buy
Windows" (too intelligent to buy Windows is what I'd
have said), then Etch isn't for you. Not until it
becomes stable. Suggest you wait until it does at
which time the upgrade path will not "ask you stupid
questions that you don't give a shit about".

> Also, is Etch now sane?  Last time I tried an
> upgrade, it gave me all
> this crap about the new udev requiring a new kernel,
> but I couldn't
> install the new kernel, because it required the new
> udev (I'm sure the
> obvious catch-22 was a  practical joke played by
> some asshole -- I can't
> imagine anyone actually making such a blatantly
> obvious, inane error
> honestly).

Nope, it's not sane. Not in the way you mean. That's
pretty much the difference between "stable" and
"testing". The Testing distro is really aimed at
people who want to get involved in helping with
testing the new release -- hence people who expect to
find problems and know how to solve them, or are at
least willing to figure it out. You've already stated
that isn't you, so my advice is stay with the stable
distro, and upgrade when Etch becomes stable. You
shouldn't feel in any way under-developed or behind
the curve in doing so -- I'm currently in the process
of trying to convince my wife there is an email
program out there other than Microsoft Outlook, and a
web browser other than IE -- so I also stick close to
the stable distro, since while I'm happy to experiment
she's not. Perfectly reasonable way to be.

Mark