Re: Removing packages?

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:53:27PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:02:34PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:31:21AM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> > > Thanks for the response Kevin. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my
> > > question.
> > >
> > > I was afraid that Apt was going to remove the packages because of a
> > > dependency. I figured libc6 and glib were important libraries, as Apt said
> > > it was going to remove 145 packages if I installed the new versions.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to run multiple versions of the same package? Can I install
> > > the newer versions of libc6 and libglib for Mono, while maintaining the
> > > older versions for my currently installed software?
> > >
> > > Or have I just encountered the Linux version of DLL hell? :]
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >

> > Hi R.H.,
> > the only way I am aware is to have 2 systems setup with different
> > version of libc6. This can be done with:
> > the 'dual boot' method for 2 version of Linux on different partitions or
> > using a 'chroot' method. I think the chroot method is easier.  The
> > 'Chroot' method is used for running 32bit apps in a 64bit OS, as an
> > example.
> > cheers,
> > Kev
>
> This whole libc6 problem puzzles me.  I thought that Linux libraries
> were version-numbered in such a way that the linker could distinguish
> compatible from incompatible versions.  Why does this mechanism not work
> for libc6?
>
> -- hendrik
Hi Hendrik,
there are many solutions to use; some more complex and some less. If
you have a versioned libc6 (not sure about this), it affect everything
above it, which from my understanding is 98% of the packages above it.
This sounds bad. Setting up a chroot is far easier(although I've never
done it) and not going to affect the rest of the system with a more
predictable positive results.
cheers,
Kev