Re: Removing packages?

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:22:04PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I am trying to install Mono on my Debian System. I went to backports.org and
> downloaded the Mono packages for Sarge, the version of Debian I am running.
> When I tried to install Mono apt told me that I needed a more recent version
> of libc6 and libglib. I donwloaded these from the main debian repository.
>
> When I try to update libc6 and libglib I get a long list of packages that
> will be removed. Does this mean removed as in "permanently removed, no
> longer on your system"? That wouldn't be good! Am I going to "break" all
> that other software if I try to update these two packages?
>
> Is there a work-around?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott huey
Hi Scott,
certain software on your system is required by every other software:
libc6 is one of those packages. If you remove this, it would be like
trying to remove the foundation of a house with the result being that
the house on top would collapse. This software can not be updated
casually, as most Gnu/Linux distributions are in a certain way defined
by these: Red Hat 7.2, Debian Woody, etc. This is the idea of
software 'dependency'.
Cheers,
Kev