Re: Removing packages?

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

This whole libc6 problem puzzles me. I thought that Linux libraries were version-numbered in such a way that the linker could distinguish compatible from incompatible versions. Why does this mechanism not work for libc6?

-- hendrik

I don't know the answer to your question, but you probably can install
two different versions of libc6 on your system so long as you don't let
the Debian package management system know about the new version.

You'd install it into /usr/local/lib/libc6, and you'd use a wrapper
script that would set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib/libc6 before
running the apps that require it.

This also means that you'd have to forgo using the package management
system for any programs compiled against the new libc6. For some people,
that's too much to give up, but it depends upon the application and how
much you want it.

FWIW, I've installed Fx 1.5 and TB 1.5 on Sarge, but I bought the CD's
from mozilla.org and used mozilla's installers. Files in /usr/local are
under the complete control of the system administrator (you), and that's
where I installed Fx and TB.

Read /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz. Look at section 9.1.2.

$ cd /usr/share/doc/debian-policy
$ zless +/^9.1.2 policy.txt.gz