Re: Removing packages?

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:56:38PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:22:04PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> > I am trying to install Mono on my Debian System. I went to backports.org and
> > downloaded the Mono packages for Sarge, the version of Debian I am running.
> > When I tried to install Mono apt told me that I needed a more recent version
> > of libc6 and libglib. I donwloaded these from the main debian repository.
> >
> > When I try to update libc6 and libglib I get a long list of packages that
> > will be removed. Does this mean removed as in "permanently removed, no
> > longer on your system"? That wouldn't be good! Am I going to "break" all
> > that other software if I try to update these two packages?
> >
> > Is there a work-around?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott huey
> Hi Scott,
> certain software on your system is required by every other software:
> libc6 is one of those packages. If you remove this, it would be like
> trying to remove the foundation of a house with the result being that
> the house on top would collapse. This software can not be updated
> casually, as most Gnu/Linux distributions are in a certain way defined
> by these: Red Hat 7.2, Debian Woody, etc. This is the idea of
> software 'dependency'.
> Cheers,
> Kev

If mono requires a more recent versin of libc6 that is available  in
sarge, and if most of the packages in sarge are incompatible with that
version, then it looks as if the sarge backport of mono is not a very
good backport.

Maybe you could install mono from source code instead?
Or report the problems to backports.org?

-- hendrik