Re: Why should "/boot" be on a separate partition?

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 19:38 +0530, Masatran (Deepak), R. wrote:
> Why should "/boot" be on a separate partition (rather than on the "/"
> partition)?

Having /boot on a separate partition allows you do do some fancy things
that you might not be able to do otherwise. For example, I have my /
partition on LVM. GRUB is not smart enough to load a kernel from an LVM
partition, so I have my /boot partition as an ext2 partition. Once the
kernel is loaded, it can figure out how to mount the LVM partition as
root.

> I have installed Debian 3.1 with a separate "/boot" partition. I intend
> installing Ubuntu 5.10 . Should I share the "/boot" partition between Debian
> and Ubuntu?

You could, but keep in mind that every time update-grub gets run, it
will rewrite your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and (I think) specify the
current root partition. So if you do this under debian, all your grub
entries will be rewritten to mount the Debian partition on boot. You
would have to edit your grub entries at boot time to mount the Ubuntu /
partition.

-davidc
--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg