Re: How often should I fsck my ext3 partition?

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 02:59 -0400, Brad Sawatzky wrote:
> > If you're really stuck (ie. remote access to your box and you suspect fs
> > damage), get as close to single-user as you can (shutdown what you can
> > without hosing your connection), remount ro and give it a shot.  (Having
> > /var and /home on separate partitions would help minimize problems.)
> > Not recommended though.
>
> Having /var and /home on separate partitions is not
> advisable/recommended?

Nope, that's not what I meant.  The 'Not recommended' referred to
remounting ro and fsck'ing.  If you *were* to remount and fsck you would
run into fewer problems if /var, /home (and /tmp) were on different
partitions (as they are mostly likely to have files open with write
access).  That would be one of several advantages to distributing your
filesystem across several partition (as you well know).

(Man, first I screw-up and reply to the wrong post, then get flam^H^H^H^H
lightly-toasted for abmiguous phrasing :-)  This has not been my finest
thread...)

Err, note the smiley, I'm not actually upset or anything.  Just a little
humor to lighten the mood.

-- Brad