Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

'lo,

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:19:27AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Doofus wrote:
> >
> >Can you quote:
>
> AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Someone calling for reasoned, rational discussion!
> AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Someone start a flamewar, instanter!!!!!!!
>
> >1. the total number of posts from all sources received by the d-u list
> >servers in the last twelve months,
> >
> >2. the number of posts received by non list members in the same period,
> >
> >3. the number posts actually published on d-u after all filtering in the
> >same period
> >
> >and
> >
> >4. the number spam (or non-spam) posts actually published on d-u in the
> >same period?
>
> 5. what percentage of (2) is actually spam [or is that what you mean by (3)]

You should be able to work it out from my previous post. I hadn't seen
yours when I wrote my reply.

> 6. the number of times a reasonable, rational, calmly stated suggestion
> to list admin was actually responded to in a reasonable, rational way,
> instead of being rejected out of hand as "not being the Debian way",
> or "we've already discussed that a thousand times here, and we're not
> going to change"

I'm afraid I can't find any of those. Can you please refresh my memory?
I know that some of the list admins have at time lost their tempers,
but this is not really a common occurrence.

> >The answers to these should go some way to highlight the scale of the
> >problem, and also how much benefit is gained by allowing everyone in the
> >world aim their crap at all of our mailboxes. I'll be surprised if a
> >statistic is available for (4), but would appreciate the answers if
> >they're available.
>
> I predict that
>
> (1) two already-formed factions will immediately chime in
> (2) a near flame war will ensue
> (3) no such figures will be forthcoming

Sorry.

> (4) even if some are, and even if they clearly support your
> position, it won't sway those who disagree with you
> (5) some will consider you foolish for trying yet again, though
> secretly they will admire your courage
> (6) others will think you foolish for being so stupid as not to
> understand why letting everyone send his crap is a good idea
> (7) the group mentioned in (6) will prevail.
>
> I'm hoping to be proven wrong on all counts.
>
> Mike

Cheers,

Pasc
(with his listmaster hat on)

--
Pascal Hakim                                        +61 403 411 672
Do Not Bend