Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

John Hasler wrote:
raju writes:
Is there anything that can be done with lists.debian.org that cannot be
done through google groups?

Is there anything that can be done with google groups that cannot be
done through lists.debian.org?
Can be done - no.
Will be done - yes.

1) In google groups, we can set 'only members can post' option. This can be done with lists.debian.org as well. But listsmasters' decision is to not do it.

2) The email addresses from d-u archives are available in clear text. This is another source of spam (as the spammers frequently scan through the arhives and look for email IDs). In google groups, the email addresses are not displayed in the archives. But at the same time, it wont deprive you of anything. One can still contact the original author if there is a need. Again this could possibly be done in lists.debian.org as well. But my understanding is that the listmasters' chose not to do it.

The second point is very important IMHO. Just create a new email address. Subscribe to d-u. Wait for 4-5 days. Look at the amazing amount of spam you get. Now create another email address. Subscribe to some high volume, 'only members can post' google groups. Wait for 4-5 days. Look at the spam you receive. You will see what I mean.

raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar
http://groups.google.com/group/cornell-bazaar/about