Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups
Can you quote:
AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Someone calling for reasoned, rational discussion!
AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Someone start a flamewar, instanter!!!!!!!
1. the total number of posts from all sources received by the d-u list
servers in the last twelve months,
2. the number of posts received by non list members in the same period,
3. the number posts actually published on d-u after all filtering in the
4. the number spam (or non-spam) posts actually published on d-u in the
5. what percentage of (2) is actually spam [or is that what you mean by (3)]
6. the number of times a reasonable, rational, calmly stated suggestion
to list admin was actually responded to in a reasonable, rational way,
instead of being rejected out of hand as "not being the Debian way",
or "we've already discussed that a thousand times here, and we're not
going to change"
The answers to these should go some way to highlight the scale of the
problem, and also how much benefit is gained by allowing everyone in the
world aim their crap at all of our mailboxes. I'll be surprised if a
statistic is available for (4), but would appreciate the answers if
I predict that
(1) two already-formed factions will immediately chime in
(2) a near flame war will ensue
(3) no such figures will be forthcoming
(4) even if some are, and even if they clearly support your
position, it won't sway those who disagree with you
(5) some will consider you foolish for trying yet again, though
secretly they will admire your courage
(6) others will think you foolish for being so stupid as not to
understand why letting everyone send his crap is a good idea
(7) the group mentioned in (6) will prevail.
I'm hoping to be proven wrong on all counts.
This message made from 100% recycled bits.
You have found the bank of Larn.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!