Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

Pascal Hakim wrote:

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:21:47AM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
John Hasler wrote:
raju writes:

Is there anything that can be done with lists.debian.org that cannot be
done through google groups?
Is there anything that can be done with google groups that cannot be
done through lists.debian.org?

Can be done - no.
Will be done - yes.

1) In google groups, we can set 'only members can post' option. This can be done with lists.debian.org as well. But listsmasters' decision is to not do it.

This hasn't been done as we want people to be able to contribute as
easily as possible. Emails that come from non-subscribers are placed
through an extra spam check (the one we call crossassassin), which is
actually quite effective. It's stopped 590 spam emails from being
posted in the 65 hours.

Can you quote:

1. the total number of posts from all sources received by the d-u list servers in the last twelve months,

2. the number of posts received by non list members in the same period,

3. the number posts actually published on d-u after all filtering in the same period

and

4. the number spam (or non-spam) posts actually published on d-u in the same period?

The answers to these should go some way to highlight the scale of the problem, and also how much benefit is gained by allowing everyone in the world aim their crap at all of our mailboxes. I'll be surprised if a statistic is available for (4), but would appreciate the answers if they're available.