Re: xorg config-problem -- no mouse (on laptop with synaptics touchpad)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:44:00AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Quite possibly you can fix this by finding the new device node of your
> touchpad and putting that into your xorg.conf. The device node is
> probably in the /dev/input directory, for example /dev/input/mouse0. A
> quick way to try it is to become root and run
>
> cat /dev/input/mouse0 | hd
>
> or
>
> cat /dev/input/mouse1 | hd
>
> etc.

in /dev/input/ I find 13 files:
event[0-3]
js[0-3]
mice
mouse[0-3]

I get the same message, with each file: no such device

[...]

> If you find the new device node you should put it in here in place of
> "/dev/psaux". It might also be better to make the touchpad the core
> pointer and shift the "SendCoreEvents" option to the external mouse. If
> you google around a bit for "xorg.conf synaptics" you will find many
> examples of how to set it up nicely. A good starting point might be
> something like this:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>    Driver  	"synaptics"
>    Identifier  	"Synaptics Touchpad"
>    Option	"Device"  	"/dev/input/mouse1"
>    Option	"Protocol"	"auto-dev"
>    Option	"LeftEdge"      "1700"
>    Option	"RightEdge"     "5300"
>    Option	"TopEdge"       "1700"
>    Option	"BottomEdge"    "4200"
>    Option	"FingerLow"	"25"
>    Option	"FingerHigh"	"30"
>    Option	"MaxTapTime"	"180"
>    Option	"MaxTapMove"	"220"
>    Option	"VertScrollDelta" "100"
>    Option	"MinSpeed"	"0.09"
>    Option	"MaxSpeed"	"0.18"
>    Option	"AccelFactor"	"0.0015"
>    Option	"SHMConfig"	"on"
> EndSection

Thanks for this, when I find the device node, I will try it. It looks
better than what I had (though I never saw it, but there was no vertical
scrolling and no tapping

/Severino