Re: tex broken

David Wainberg wrote:
I hope someone can help. Recently, I have been unable to compile tex/latex
documents. When I try, [tex|latex] tells me it can't find the file I'm
trying to compile:

----snip----------------

$ latex template.tex This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `template.tex'.
<*> template.tex
Please type another input file name:
----/snip----------------

If I input the file name at the prompt, it returns the same
error. Presumably, this is after a recent apt-get upgrade. I have,
however, been unable to find anything on the web that pertains to this
problem. Can anyone help solve the problem, or at least point me to
some helpful info?

The same version of pdfetex works fine for me. (Debian Sid, "tetex-bin"
package version 3.0-16) Did you try to specify the full path explicitly,
starting from root, e.g. "latex /home/username/directory/template.tex"?
I have the suspicion that something is screwed up in the search paths of
your tex installation. You could try to reconfigure or reinstall the
tetex packages and "libkpathsea3" or "libkpathsea4". (I don't know any
specifics about the texlive packages, unfortunately.)

Regards,
           Florian