failure to detect the bootable USB stick

The Installation manual for the x86 contains this.

"5.1.3.A Booting from USB Memory Stick
... the kernel on the boot floppy should detect your USB
stick automatically. When it asks for the root floppy, ..."

I made a boot floppy and bootable USB stick for Etch
according to the manual.  The old Asus SP97-V started
from the diskette with no obvious problem.  There was
no evidence that the USB stick was found.  The light on
the stick never flashed.

Any ideas?  Thanks,       ... Peter E.

shark at gulfnet sd64 bc ca

Upgrade your account today for increased storage; mail
forwarding or POP enabled e-mail with automatic virus
scanning. Visit our member benefits page at
https://members.canada.com/benefits.aspx for more
information.