Re: Using Ubuntu when I'm used to Debian.

On Monday 03 April 2006 19:28, Steve Lamb wrote:
> D. Michael McFarland wrote:
> > Ubuntu is a fine distribution.  It works for my friends and it's
> > easy for me to administer for them.  But the overall Ubuntu
> > experience is a little too sweet for my taste.
>
>     You might like Mepis for friend's machines.  It goes out of its
> way to make things freindlier but as far as I could see it doesn't
> really hide anything.  It also used normal Debian repositories
> instead of replacing them so in theory it should be easy to switch to
> pure Debian at a later date.

I used Mepis for a while and it is still on my Father's computer.  It
worked great for installing, but after 6 months or so I had more and
more trouble with adding packages (which I rarely have on Debian).  I
don't know if it has anything to do with the problem I had, but I think
mixing Testing and Unstable sources can cause problems in the long run.

Hal