Re: Using Ubuntu when I'm used to Debian.

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:19:33 -0400
Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:

> On Monday 03 April 2006 19:28, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > D. Michael McFarland wrote:
> > > Ubuntu is a fine distribution.  It works for my friends and it's
> > > easy for me to administer for them.  But the overall Ubuntu
> > > experience is a little too sweet for my taste.
> >
> >     You might like Mepis for friend's machines.  It goes out of its
> > way to make things freindlier but as far as I could see it doesn't
> > really hide anything.  It also used normal Debian repositories
> > instead of replacing them so in theory it should be easy to switch to
> > pure Debian at a later date.
>
> I used Mepis for a while and it is still on my Father's computer.  It
> worked great for installing, but after 6 months or so I had more and
> more trouble with adding packages (which I rarely have on Debian).  I
> don't know if it has anything to do with the problem I had, but I think
> mixing Testing and Unstable sources can cause problems in the long run.

I had this problem with a Knoppix-hd install as well. At one point, I had to just bite the bullet and go straight to sid.  It really only took a couple months of intermittent upgrades and additions to start to have problems with that mixed environment. And the upgrade to sid was no piece of cake either. I think its much better to NOT mix releases.

.02