Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

On 4/3/06, Pascal Hakim <pasc@redellipse.net> wrote:
> Some people leak headers into the body of their email.

gmail does by default, apparently.

I do wonder if there really is a point to masking out the email
addresses in the archive. If I were a spammer, one of the first things
I'd do is sign up to receive mail from a few thousand heavily
trafficked mailing lists (using email->usenet/web gateways to
determine traffic levels), and then just add each user that I see to
my lists. I would probably sign up for the digests, to make it
basically a once-a-day (or whatever the frequency) thing.

Aside from modifying the email addresses in the posts re-mailed to
each subscriber, I can't see a sure way this could be detected.

Plus, I doubt there's only one debian-users archive out there. It'd be
hard, if not impossible, to convince them all to change their ways.