Re: utf-8 and gnuplot

Hi Matthias,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:08:05AM +0200, Matthias Pfeifer wrote:
> 1.) Emacs doesnt draw ^ and ~ when my locale contains -utf8

I have just to type ~<space> or ^<space> to get these
symbols. It's the same in all applications, including emacs.
However, these symbols aren't at the same place in all
keyboard maps.

> 2.) the fonts availeable in gnome-terminal seem to be completly
> unrelated to those offered by xfontsel

I noted that xfontsel has a few more options than the
GTK/Gnome Font Selection Tool, but they seem to be fairly
related here. The gnome-terminal with its default font
("Monospace 10") is capable of displaying ALL characters in
the UTF-8-demo.txt (from the link that you have sent to me):

http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/debian-utf8/download/UTF-8-demo.txt.gz

> 3.) The gnome-help browser draws little boxes containing "20" "02"
> stacked where i suspect some other characters to appear

I couldn't see them. What pages cause that?

Although I don't know how solve the three problems above,
the fact that they don't happen here means they are only
configuration issues. Anyway, I remember that some strange
problems were solved after I put the following two lines in
the ~/.bashrc:

export LANGUAGE=pt_BR.UTF-8
export LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8

Best regards,