Re: How can I get Sarge installed on unsupported hardware?

How can I go about getting Sarge installed? Would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction please?

You could try the unofficial sarge installer with backported kernel
http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi/debian/d-i-2615.htm

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for your advice.

I have read about installing using Knoppix and debootstrap, but I think I will have to use the unofficial installer because I need the installer's help setting up software RAID and LVM.

The website says ...

  "Please take kernel-headers package from unstable repository when
   you need it"

and...

  "Backported newer udev, hotplug, initramfs-tools, and selinux.
   Take care when you upgrade this environment to testing or
   unstable."

But I don't fully understand what those statements mean.

I plan to stick with stable on this box, only upgrading to etch when it actually is released as the new stable.

Will I be able to use aptitude as normal on this box, or will I need to manage certain packages manually?

Thanks, Andy