Re: How can I get Sarge installed on unsupported hardware?

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 11:04 +0100, Andy wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have a new server with a SATA-II controller.
>
> I haven't been able to install Sarge because the installer doesn't
> detect the disks and so cannot load the partitioner.
>
> The Etch installer works fine, but then I end up with Debian testing,
> which is a problem for me since I need stability.
>
> How can I go about getting Sarge installed? Would anyone mind pointing
> me in the right direction please?
>
> Thanks, Andy

You could try the unofficial sarge installer with backported kernel
http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi/debian/d-i-2615.htm

or you can install on a supported disk IDE install a more recent kernel
and move your install to your SATA drives.

or you can boot a livecd like knoppix with a recent kernel that works.
and do a debootstrap and chroot install onto your sata drives, making
sure you install a recent kernel.

one of the best things abuot debian is the multitude of install
posibilities. it's more a problem to choose one then to find one.

with regards
Ronny Aasen