Re: How to find software?

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:03:26AM -0500, Matthias Julius wrote:
Katipo <katipo@westnet.com.au> writes:

Steve Lamb wrote:
  Am I the only one who's reading this exchange and wondering what people
are thinking?

No.
As the OP has contacted the list, it's fairly safe to assume that he
has net access?
What tells you that the OP contacted the list from the same machine he
wants to install LaTeX on?

What's wrong with a net install with aptitude or the ilk.
Not everyone is up to wait and/or pay to see large packages like tetex
trickling through a phone line.  Especially if he has the CDs already.

If he has the CDs already, aptitude would prompt him to install the proper
CD when he tries to install tetex.  If not, it won't know about tetex.
So I presume he will take out replies and *then* go to get the proper CD from whatever source he had to buy CDs from. Could CDs be expensive where he lives? Or hard to obtain? Or does he have it fixed in his mind that he has to download entire CDs instead of just packages? I have no idea. I can't imagine it would cost him less to download a CD when he only needs one package. I can imagine he'd like to buy one CD, though.

I'm really curious about this.

It depends on the individual environment, I suppose.

Here, a local call is worth twenty cents.
A loaf of bread, a lot more.
And computors don't need to sleep here, so I did a net install over my 56K modem, with no pain whatsoever, while I was in bed.
Including LaTeX and Alsa, and a whole lot more.
Regards,