Re: Understanding /root, /usr, /var and so on

In linux.debian.user, gene.heskett wrote:

>  I have a silly question though, why does the user need access to
>  ifconfig?  If the admin is doing his job, it seems that the network

On some (many?) boxes, the user == the administrator, just not logged
in as root.  Not everyone has the privilege of owning their own admin.
Not everyone's insane enough to run non-Debian on their *own* boxes
given the choice.

>  shouldn't have, nor need access to ifconfig.  Giving everybody access
>  to ifconfig and its ilk sure sounds like a big security hole to me.

Ridiculous:

   - cd /sbin ; ./ifconfig

   - cd ; /sbin/ifconfig

   - "export PATH=/sbin:$PATH" (not that I'm suggesting anyone
     do this :-)

I guess Debian's just full of security holes!  :-P  Oh, wait, this
works on any *nix box!  CERT!  Oh geez, look at all those other
powerful tools in /sbin they have access to as well!  Aaiiiiii!

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html
           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt