Re: Why does dpkg think my pentium computer is an AMD?

Peter Stoddard wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions to my post:

[snip]
> Here are some of the replies I received and additional questions I have:

[snip]
>>    amd64 just means it's a 64 bit x86 architecture, since AMD beat
>> Intel to the punch.  So, for example, a Pentium 4 with EM64T would
>> identify itself in the same way.  Do your processors contain EM64T
>> extensions?
>
> I don't know.  How would I find that out?
Read the hardware manuals.  But as Steve stated, if you didn't have a 64 bit
processor, your 64 bit OS would not boot.

>> If you've got a 32 bit subsystem, I would think this package would
>> install. However, I've never messed with a 64 bit system, so I don't know
>> exactly how it works.  In any case, first verify that you've got a 64 bit
>> or 32 bit processor.
>
> How would I do that?  And if it is 64 bit, how do I determine whether I
> have a 32 bit subsystem?
Check your libc6 installation.  If you have the 32 bit package, odds are you
have a 32 bit subsystem.  If not, you'll have to set one up from scratch.
To do that, see http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ and the links it
contains, specifically
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id271960

>> You probably want to see if they have an amd64 package for pine
>> available.
>
> I didn't see one.
>
>> If not, your best bet may be to download the source and
>> build it yourself.  Last time I installed pine on Solaris, that's what I
>> did, and I don't recall that it was too difficult.
>
> Good idea, but I really want to get to the bottom of this 64 bit amd
> problem, because I know it will keep coming up.
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Pete

Hope that helps,
Justin