Re: Why does dpkg think my pentium computer is an AMD?

Thanks for the suggestions to my post:

> I am running sarge and kernel 2.6.14.3-smp.  I have a pentium 4 dual core >
> processor.
>
> peter@paris:~/$ uname -a
> Linux paris 2.6.14.3-smp #1 SMP Fri Dec 9 13:21:36 CST 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> But dpkg thinks its an amd:
>
> paris:/usr/share# dpkg --print-installation-architecture
> amd64
>
> paris:/usr/share# dpkg --print-architecture
> amd64

Here are some of the replies I received and additional questions I have:

> 	So, I think you are running a kernel for AMD 64.  Maybe you should
> 	install a different one or recompile choosing the correct processor.

Yes, I agree the problem is the kernel.  I'll install a new one.

>     amd64 just means it's a 64 bit x86 architecture, since AMD beat
> 	Intel to the punch.  So, for example, a Pentium 4 with EM64T would identify
> 	itself in the same way.  Do your processors contain EM64T extensions?

I don't know.  How would I find that out?

> 	If you've got a 32 bit subsystem, I would think this package would install.
> 	However, I've never messed with a 64 bit system, so I don't know exactly
> 	how it works.  In any case, first verify that you've got a 64 bit or 32 bit
> 	processor.

How would I do that?  And if it is 64 bit, how do I determine whether I have a
32 bit subsystem?

> 	You probably want to see if they have an amd64 package for pine
> 	available.

I didn't see one.

> 	If not, your best bet may be to download the source and
> 	build it yourself.  Last time I installed pine on Solaris, that's what I
> 	did, and I don't recall that it was too difficult.

Good idea, but I really want to get to the bottom of this 64 bit amd problem,
because I know it will keep coming up.

Thanks for the replies.

Pete