Re: Why does dpkg think my pentium computer is an AMD?

Peter Stoddard wrote:

>>	If not, your best bet may be to download the source and
>>	build it yourself.  Last time I installed pine on Solaris, that's what I
>>	did, and I don't recall that it was too difficult.
>

> Good idea, but I really want to get to the bottom of this 64 bit amd problem,
> because I know it will keep coming up.

What problem?  You have a 64 bit processor and you have a 64 bit OS
installed on it.

If you did not have a 64 bit processor, your 64 bit kernel would not be
running.  You'd never get it to boot.

If you don't want to run a 64 bit OS, then you'll probably want to do a
re-install from scratch, using the i386 architecture.  It would probably
make finding prebuilt (non-Debian) applications a little easier, at the
price of losing whatever performance advantages the 64 bit OS is
currently giving you.  <shrug>  I'd stick with the 64 bit arch if it
were me.