locked out from gdm - input field greyed out

Hi there,

tonight after a bit of hacking managed to lock myself out of the system
and unfortunately have no other DE/WM present on that machine.

Machine was set up to prompt from standard greeter and its input field's
now greyed out, can't type in user name or passwd.

This happened after applying the following hack

"sudo ln -s /home/<insert your username here>/.themes /root/.themes"

Going into console from there is also impossible as first login
credentials are required.

My guess is theren't any themes in where its been told to look and now
gdm comes up with an error message similar to "cannot load theme,
reverting back to old one" ( but shows without input box).

Well it seems I got too much time on my hands but don't know enough yet
to get out of this again.

I have a Knoppix cd here and it might be an idea to change
etc/gdm/gdm.conf to automatic login or graphical greeter, but so far
have been unable to edit the file as it's write protected.

Thanks a lot (again)

Kind Regards,
B.Hoffmann

Linux User #398054

-Foresight Linux- -Ubuntu- -Debian (Sarge)-