Re: etch

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:06:33PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:55:22AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> > If you specify "stable", though, the always changing system really moves
> > hardly-at-all most of the time, and then has huge, stability-destroying
> > quantum leaps avery few years.
> >
> > -- hendrik
> Hi Hendrik, I think your observation is correct. I did not consider that
> fact into my diagram. I will try to revise it.

For me, that's the *bug* reason to run testing or etch or sarge or woody
but never, never, stable.  When sarge became stable I copied my entire
woody partition and established sual boot, with a choice of booting the
original or the copy.  Once both were running, I dist-upgraded one of
the copies to sarge.  I used a shared /var/mail directory, though, to
avoid losing mail until I was ready to settle down with sarge as
actually being stable.

Good thing I did it that way -- the upgrade was not smooth.

-- hendrik