Re: etch

Florian Kulzer wrote:
Jim Woodward wrote:

I have testing in my sources.list.
Does this mean I am running etch?
I am running kernel 2.6.15.6
If I am not running etch, how can I upgrade without a new installation?

If you started out with testing in your sources.list or if you did a
dist-upgrade since you included it, then you should indeed be running
Etch. The fact that you are using a 2.6.15 kernel suggests it, too.
I installed kernel 2.6.15.6 from kernel.org

Simply look at the output of "cat /etc/issue" to be sure. Another

characteristic thing is your version of libc6; "apt-cache policy libc6"
will tell you what it is and where it came from.
I will enclose the output from these:
jim@debian-pent:~$ apt-cache policy libc6
libc6:
  Installed: 2.3.6-3
  Candidate: 2.3.6-3
  Version table:
 *** 2.3.6-3 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
jim@debian-pent:~$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable \n \l

Regards,
            Florian

I have not done a dist-upgrade( don't know how), but I use synaptic package manager to update at least once a week.
Thanks