Re: kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686-smp update

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 04:28 +0000, Ramsay D. Seielstad wrote:
>    Greetings all, seems the kernel-images have recently been updated and
> I'm not sure how to proceed.  I'm running an IBM dual xeon 2.4 ghz
> system on the stock kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp with no problems.
>
>    Now kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686-smp is available and I get the warning
> about installing over the running kernel.  Prudently I decided against it.
>
>   Can just install this update over the running kernel and reboot it, or
> should I install a different 386 kernel, boot it and then install the
> update?
>
>    I'm just guessing that it probably has minor changes and that the
> modules in /lib/modules shouldn't break anything, since it is the same
> kernel and version, long enough to install and then reboot.
>
>    Appreciate any help or suggestions the community can toss my way and
> thanks in advance for the wisdoms.
>
>      Ramsay, kc2gmw

The short answer:  yes, you can install the updated kernel over your
running version.

The long answer:  It's safer to run a different kernel and then update
the needy kernel-image when you're running on the other kernel.

Maybe I shouldn't be answering your question. :)  As far as I know, the
concerns are mainly with one of two scenarios:  (1), power going out
before the full image is written to disk, or replacement image is not
written well / broken out of the gate for some reason or (2) the updated
modules mucking with your setup.

Neither situation has ever happened to me.  As for issue (1), the
official Debian kernels .. I can't remember a broken one coming out of
an update, ever.  As for the second part of (1), as fast as harddrives
are anymore .. I guarantee writing a kernel image will not outlast my
UPS.  And if my UPS doesn't help me, than I probably have bigger
problems than my machine not booting the next time I flip the switch on.
(2) Usually by the time I'm updating a kernel, my machine has been on
for greater than 10 minutes and every module it would ever load has been
loaded.  I just update, and reboot.  Presto.  YMMV, IANAL, IAMANAL, etc
etc ad nauseum.

chance