kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686-smp update

Greetings all, seems the kernel-images have recently been updated and I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm running an IBM dual xeon 2.4 ghz system on the stock kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp with no problems.

Now kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686-smp is available and I get the warning about installing over the running kernel. Prudently I decided against it.

Can just install this update over the running kernel and reboot it, or should I install a different 386 kernel, boot it and then install the update?

I'm just guessing that it probably has minor changes and that the modules in /lib/modules shouldn't break anything, since it is the same kernel and version, long enough to install and then reboot.

Appreciate any help or suggestions the community can toss my way and thanks in advance for the wisdoms.

    Ramsay, kc2gmw