Re: kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686-smp update

On (25/03/06 04:28), Ramsay D. Seielstad wrote:
>   Greetings all, seems the kernel-images have recently been updated and
> I'm not sure how to proceed.  I'm running an IBM dual xeon 2.4 ghz
> system on the stock kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp with no problems.
>
>   Now kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686-smp is available and I get the warning
> about installing over the running kernel.  Prudently I decided against it.
>
>  Can just install this update over the running kernel and reboot it, or
> should I install a different 386 kernel, boot it and then install the
> update?
>
>   I'm just guessing that it probably has minor changes and that the
> modules in /lib/modules shouldn't break anything, since it is the same
> kernel and version, long enough to install and then reboot.
>
>   Appreciate any help or suggestions the community can toss my way and
> thanks in advance for the wisdoms.

What I did was go into aptitude in interactive mode:

'u' to update the package cache

'U' to mark upgradable packages

'g' to view packages to be upgraded

you will see that it is trying to remove your running kernel.

'+' to change the state from 'id' to 'i'

you can then safely proceed with 'g' again to install the new kernel.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...