Re: Samba and OS X "issue"

On (22/03/06 11:06), Pete Clarke wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have recently added an Apple OS X based machine to my little home
> network - nice to have a new architecture to play with :-)..and have hit a
> bit of a problem whilst connecting to a Debian Sarge Samba
> server...basically Finder hangs when attempting to browse any of the Samba
> shares on any of my Debian servers - all running Sarge, and the version of
> Samba that ships with it.
>
> I have googled for this, and the concenous is that there is a bug in the
> 3.0.14 release that Sarge is equipped with - apparently it's fixed in
> 3.0.20.
>
> My question is basically, does anyone have OS X (10.4.5 Tiger) browsing
> Samba shares on a Debian Sarge server sucessfully, or do I have to ditch
> the 3.0.14 Sarge version and install 3.0.20 instead?
> I would rather stick to Sarge packages if possible, as I have a few
> servers running Debian and it'd be a PITA to change them :-)

We're running samba 3.0.14a-3sarge both on behalf of clients and
ourselves and have OSX10.2 to 10.3.9 and windows clients accessing
shares successfully.  OSX, however, is quite quirky and I found that I
had to explicitly share users' home directories in smb.conf for the
Mac's to see them.

Also if you are sharing a printer from the debian server, have a look at:
http://members.cox.net/18james/osx_printer_sharing.html

HTH

Regards

Clive