Re: Poster to this lists email address not obfuscated? If so it makes this list a heaven for spam bots...:-(

Incoming from Florian Kulzer:
> s. keeling wrote:

> >>Maybe I misunderstand what you are doing, but aren't you increasing the
> >>spam load for people whose real email addresses are used/forged as the
> >
> >They're already being used.  I receive spam addressed from
> >keeling@spots.ab.ca, which doesn't surprise me.  "My posting them ...
>
> I am not so sure about that. I get a lot of spam, which means that some
> spammers - let us call them A, B, C, and D - have my email address in
> their database. Now if one of them sends you spam with my address as the
> forged sender, my email address will end up on public display on one
> more web page, your "Poison The Well" project page. This in turn

I should say here that, as my personal philosophy on spam goes,
"munging", or otherwise hiding your email address, is essentially
pointless.  I've been posting to mailing lists and Usenet using my
real email address since about 1996.  I don't hide from spammers.  I'm
a living honeypot, if you will.  My real email address used in mailing
list and Usenet posts attracts spammers and their abuses, and I use
that attraction to kill them (their accounts, of course :-).

> increases the chances that spammers E, F, ..., Z will also find my
> email address and I will get even more spam than before. I think

Your attempts at hiding your email address from spammers and email
address harvesters is fruitless/pointless, and doesn't add anything of
value into our war against spammers and spam.  Killing them (their
accounts) is all that matters.  Force them to run around rebuilding
infrastructure, then kill those too when they're used.  Every time
they use their infrastructure, burn it down, forcing them to recreate
it.

> generated garbage addresses. I recall seeing quite sophisticated
> implementations of this, in which an "invisible" (for normal users) link
> on a webpage leads email harvesting robots into a maze of dynamically
> generated bogus pages full of thousands of useless email addresses.

That would be a cool addition to our arsenal.  Please research and
report back.  I would be very interested in implementing this.  Thanks.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -