Re: USB Card Reader.

Wulfy wrote:

> Thanks to all who answered.  Much appreciated!
>
> Joachim Fahnenmüller wrote:
>
>>[snip]
> Progress!  well, some.
>
> I did "mkdir /media/card" so that there'd be a directory there to attach
> to.
>
> I tried each of the possibilities:
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/sd[a-d] /media/card
>
> Mount told me that a, b and d had no media but c gave me an error message:
>
>> Yewdales-lodge:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /media/card
>> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
>>        missing codepage or other error
>>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> I looked at dmesg | tail:
>
>> scsi2: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 2, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 00 06
>> 00 00 02 00
>> Current sdc: sense key Medium Error
>> Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 6
>> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
>>  unable to read partition table
>> FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
>> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc.
>> FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
>> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc.

You can't mount /dev/sdc, because it represents the entire disk.  You want
to mount the partition on the disk, which is going to be /dev/sdc[1-16].
The above error message at least shows you that your card is dev/sdc.

> I also tried Duncan's suggestion of mounting /dev/sdc1.
>
>> Yewdales-lodge:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /media/card
>> mount: special device /dev/sdc1 does not exist

This is what you need to do, but it failed because udev didn't create the
special device node.  You can either create it manually with makedev, and
have to create it manually every time, or tell udev to create the
individual partition nodes when the device nodes for the reader are
created.

> Two things come to mind.  Either the card uses some other fs type or
> I've lost all the pictures on it....  :(  Of course, I'm not sure what
> the dmsg error message means precisely, but "unable to read partition
> table" sounds bad.  That doesn't depend on the fs, does it?

I doubt it uses some other file system, as vfat is the defacto standard.
You've just got to have the right device node to mount it.

Justin