Re: USB Card Reader.

Thanks to all who answered.  Much appreciated!

Joachim Fahnenmüller wrote:

The driver is usb-storage and is loaded automatically as your syslog says.
It creates devices /dev/sda , sdb, sdc and sdd for the different types of cards.
So you should try (as root)
mount -t vfat /dev/sda /media/card
and the same with sdb, sdc, sdd (or maybe sda1 etc.) until you have found the
right one for your type of card.

Later, you can create an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab .
(...)

HTH

Progress!  well, some.

I did "mkdir /media/card" so that there'd be a directory there to attach to.

I tried each of the possibilities:

mount -t vfat /dev/sd[a-d] /media/card

Mount told me that a, b and d had no media but c gave me an error message:

Yewdales-lodge:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /media/card
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

I looked at dmesg | tail:

scsi2: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 2, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 02 00
Current sdc: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 6
Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
 unable to read partition table
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc.
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc.

I also tried Duncan's suggestion of mounting /dev/sdc1.

Yewdales-lodge:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /media/card
mount: special device /dev/sdc1 does not exist

Two things come to mind. Either the card uses some other fs type or I've lost all the pictures on it.... :( Of course, I'm not sure what the dmsg error message means precisely, but "unable to read partition table" sounds bad. That doesn't depend on the fs, does it?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.