Re: receiving unexpected IP address *outside* of VPN

No windows machines at all on the network, just this debian machine
and a mac.  It's happening right now with this being the only machine
on the subnet.

As for the differing hardware addresses, very observant!  I made one
of them up just for privacy, just for privacy even though I'm sure it
really doesn't matter, and forgot to change the other.  In reality
there's only one hardware address.  By the way,  I've noticed the same
thing when connecting by wireless.