Re: Selective remote mail deletion

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 19:32 +0000, B.Hoffmann wrote:

> > > Thank you for your script. Seems like a good answer, I will give it a
> > > try.
> >
> > Glad I could help.  But I've got to ask: what problem are you trying
> > to solve by pre-deleting files?
[snip]

> I'm trying to view subject line of new ones and then delete unwanted
> messages and spam from the server. So next time I access the account
> from a different machine (I keep all messages on server for a year) all
> the junk won't download again 'cos it's gone.
> I know, maybe I should just centralize it and run a mail server on one
> of the machines at home.

fetchmail, {postfix|exim4}, IMAP and server-side filtering (I like
maildrop, other like linenoise, a.k.e. procmail).

That will solve your problem.  Then, from any other machine, you
connect to the IMAP server on your home machine.

Because IMAP passwords are passed in cleartext, if the other machines
that you look at mail from are not on your LAN, you'll need to
install the imaps version of your IMAP server.

> But it would be extremely useful if Evolution, or any other mail client
> on Linux, had this feature.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Why is cyber-crime not being effectively controlled? What is
fueling the rampancy?
* Parental apathy & the public education system
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-
150.html