Re: PATH issues

On Friday 17 March 2006 11:03 am, chadmichael@excite.com Davis wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a problem with the PATH.  I'm fairly familiar with the tradional
> linux / unix roles for the various start up scripts, but I'm not getting
> the behaviour that I expect.  First of all, I'm running Ubuntu with Gnome.
>  I manually installed java in /opt/jdk1.5xxx  The system had a free version
> of java installed via APT.  (I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to the
> packaging system ).  It appears that the APT process pretty much puts
> everything into the typical, old school bins.  These are the predefined
> path.  So, the APt installed free version of java is found on the
> unmodified path, in /usr/local/bin or something.  I need to have my version
> of Java be found prior to that free one.  ( I think if I understood the
> packaging system there would be a more "debian" way of handling this, but
> I'm not too hip to all of that ).
>
> My solution is to set the system wide path settings to include the bin
> directory of my own java installation.  PErhaps not the best way.  Please
> inform me of better solutions if you have them.  I first tried adding this
> PATH change to /etc/profile, and then to /etc/bash.bashrc.  When I did
> these things, the PATH changes were ONLY REFLECTED IN LOGIN SHELLS or, in
> the case of the bashrc, terminal shells fired up from with in Gnome.  The
> problem is that when I try to launch the app that needs the new path
> changes ( Eclipse won't run on the free java ?) from a Gnome launcher (
> desktop icon ), the PATH changes don't seem to be in effect.  SO . . . why
> don't the PATH changes effected by /etc/profile count when running
> somehting from Gnome direclty?  Perhaps this is a gnome issue?

see the posting by "Jan T. Kim" with the subject "Re: login, path and
~/.profile" in this ML dated 09/30/05.

what i have on my system for java is that:

/usr/bin/java is a sym link to /etc/alternatives/java

/etc/alternatives/java is a symlink to /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/bin/java

if you want a different 'default' java implementation, change
the /etc/alternatives/java symlink to point to a different executable.

but then i've always just stuck with sun's jvm. haven't really juggled
multiple jvms.

--

anoop
aaryal@foresightint.com