Re: Booting fails after moving to another hardware: unable to find root partition

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:56:02 +0100
Reiner Nix <reiner.nix@macd.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after moving the contents of my root partition to another host,
> the root partition ist not found while booting.
>
> To do the "move", I copied the files using tar and changed
> the partition name in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst.
> Previously, root was on /dv/hda6 (an IDE disk) and now it is on /dev/sda5 (a SATA disk).
>
> Now I have the following problerm while booting.
> The kernel is loaded from the correct device but could not access to the root device.
> An extract from the messages:
>   Waiting 1 seconds for /sys/bloc/hda/dev/hda6
>   mount: special device /dev/sda6 does not exists
>   Switching root...
>   /usr/lib/yaird/exec/run_init: current directory on the same filesystem as root: Success
>
> I am running Debian testing.
>
> It seems to be an issue with the initial ram disk prepared by yaird.
> When extracting the initial ram disk, in the init file, there are multiple
> occurences of the old partition name hda6.

I think your diagnosis is correct.

> What is the best practice to get the host booting?
> Probably, I need to create a new inital ram disk, how to do this in this environment?

boot a rescue cd (knoppix etc) and chroot into your new "moved" root. Then I think you can dpkg-reconfigure the kernel. depending on your setup, you'll likely have to do lots of mounting within your chroot first.

hth